Melbourne is Australia's mecca for all things trendy and tasty. The city offers up exquisite dining, exhilarating sport and abundant opportunities to experience art.
A perfect blend of rich cultural history and new age trends is waiting for you in Melbourne. As the sun goes down, the city comes to life with a vibrant dining scene as well as events and exhibitions. Explore its bustling laneways, trendy neighbourhoods and sophisticated foodie scene to get a taste of what Melbourne is all about.
Melbourne stands on the ancient grounds of the Kulin Nation of the Wurundjeri people. For the Kulin Nation, Melbourne has always been an important meeting place for events of social, educational, sporting and cultural significance. Experience the culture through a range of heritage walks, cultural tours and galleries.
- Traditional name of Central Melbourne: Narrm
- Indigenous Peoples of Central Melbourne: Wurundjeri people
- Traditional lands of Greater Melbourne: Kulin Nation
- Traditional languages: There are four traditional languages in Narrm. Bunurong (Bun-wurrung), Taungurung (Tung-ger-rung), Wathaurong (Wadha-wurrung) and Dja Dja Wurrung (Jar-Jar-Wur-rung).
- How to say g’day in Wathaurong: Wominjeka
“Travel Guide to Melbourne, Victoria - Tourism Australia.” Visit Australia - Travel & Tour Information - Tourism Australia, https://www.australia.com/en/places/melbourne-and-surrounds/guide-to-melbourne.html.